Who we are: Greenbelt is Essex County’s Land Trust. We’re the most active conservation organization in the region. We protect land and help people get outside.
The role: Greenbelt seeks an enthusiastic professional for the full-time position of Land Steward.
• Reports directly to the Director of Land Stewardship
• Provides stewardship department support for:
o fee property upkeep and maintenance, including trails, signage, and boundary marking
o general caretaking of Greenbelt’s Cox Reservation headquarters grounds and office
o volunteer programs
o event support
o other tasks as directed, such as conservation biology programs and conservation restriction monitoring
Greenbelt seeks a diverse pool of candidates. In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, we aim to create an inclusive, equitable workplace where everyone is valued.
Core Responsibilities and Scope
• Work in the field at many of Greenbelt’s publicly accessible properties throughout Essex County to maintain appearance and safety including mowing, trimming, using chainsaw and other tools.
• Support upkeep of Greenbelt’s headquarters building and grounds at the Cox Reservation in Essex
• Support a variety of volunteer programs such as the property monitors program and other volunteer initiatives
• Support all types of Greenbelt events, at times involving weeknight and weekend commitments.
• Support a variety of conservation biology programs working with invasive plant control, Osprey, grassland and beach nesting birds and others as needed
Qualifications and Skills
This position requires a strong ability to handle a variety of equipment and be willing to work outdoors on a frequent basis, sometimes in challenging weather conditions.
• Demonstrated experience in the skills listed in this job description. Higher education (Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree) desirable
• Ability to work alongside and collaborate with co-workers on a daily basis
• Possession of a valid driver’s license
• Physical ability to walk/hike on varied terrains, and lift/carry/load/unload equipment and materials regularly.
• Demonstrated experience specifically with the following is desirable:
o Vehicle and equipment operation such as driving with 4-wheel drive truck, trailering, tractor use, tractor mowing, zero turn mower use, walk-behind mower use, chainsaw use, trimmer use, and using a range of other power tools.
o a willingness to learn the above listed skills if not currently proficient
o handiness with carpentry desirable
• Proficiency with technologies desirable, including basic computer software (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.) and electronic equipment such as GPS devices.
• Demonstrated strong written and verbal skills
• Possessing GIS skills would be viewed favorably
A key to this position is the ability to work in an efficient and organized manner. There is strong potential to grow and expand this position to take on greater responsibility over time. This position requires someone who can perform a range of physical activities but also participate and contribute to the organization in many other ways. Flexibility will be an important trait, as unscheduled tasks present themselves frequently and require immediate attention. In keeping with Greenbelt’s organizational values, candidates should share a commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
Position type: Full-time, in person, at Greenbelt’s headquarters in Essex, Massachusetts. Competitive salary will be based on qualifications and includes excellent healthcare and retirement benefits. Salary range $40,000-45,000, plus generous benefits, with potential for growth and professional advancement.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but applications will be reviewed as they are received. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in a single PDF (if possible) via email with a subject: Land Steward Position to Dave Rimmer at email@example.com
Essex County Greenbelt is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.