Land Protection Specialist
Greenbelt seeks an enthusiastic professional for the full-time position of Land Protection Specialist.
• Reports to the Land Conservation Division Director
• Initiates and manages conservation real estate transactions from start to finish
• Coordinates across departments on project fundraising and stewardship planning.
Position will remain open until filled.
Core Responsibilities and Scope
1. Landowner Outreach & Cultivation: Use landowner outreach, cultivation, and conservation real estate tools to advance Greenbelt’s Strategic Plan. This work includes:
• One-on-one landowner outreach, site visits, events and networking to cultivate landowners
• Research and evaluate potential conservation projects.
2. Fee Simple and Conservation Restriction Acquisition:
• Negotiate, structure, manage and close land conservation projects
• Manage due-diligence
• Coordinate closely with Greenbelt’s Stewardship staff to ensure smooth transition to long term stewardship, and with Conservation Technology and Planning Division for mapping / GIS work, and Finance Dept. and Development staff on fundraising, and ensure projects are adequately documented and closed in Greenbelt files.
3. Fundraising & Grant-writing:
• Write and submit public and private conservation grants
• Secure local and state funding for conservation projects
• Work closely with Greenbelt’s Development Department on fundraising strategy.
• Use ArcGIS for data collection and editing, georeferencing, and map creation.
5. Baseline Documentation Reports:
• Work closely with Stewardship Staff to produce Baseline Documentation Reports for each Conservation Restriction.
6. Public Outreach:
• Oversee Essex County Open Space Conference (every 3 years).
• Coordinate and lead occasional educational / outreach workshops.
7. Division Staff Support:
• Provide project support to Director of Land Conservation Division and VP of Conservation Operations, including managing due diligence, drafting grants and conservation restrictions, project filing and data management.
• BA/BS or higher or equivalent experience in a relevant field (e.g., environmental studies, conservation, geography, planning, natural resources); real estate, planning, and legal experience a plus
• At least 3 years of experience in land conservation for a land trust or government entity
• Willingness to spend time outdoors in all seasons
• Ability to understand maps and to orient oneself and be comfortable traveling on foot in sometimes rough and dense forested conditions and on large semi-rural properties.
• Strong technological skills (at a minimum, MS Office Suite and ArcGIS)Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently take initiative to accomplish required tasks and achieve objectives
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including comfort and experience with public speaking; ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people
• Excellent organizational and project management skills
• Experience and understanding of documents pertaining to real estate transactions
• Possess and maintain a valid MA driver’s license and willingness to use a personal vehicle for work-related travel (with mileage reimbursement based upon federal rate)
• Knowledge or experience related to conservation land management and stewardship
• Desire to keep learning and growing in the position and with Greenbelt
Full-time, salaried position, with some hybrid work possible. In-person work located at the Cox Reservation in Essex, MA. Primarily Monday – Friday schedule (occasional weekend work necessary). Greenbelt has a flexible work policy that allows staff to work from home when necessary or when more efficient. Professional development opportunities available.
Salary & Benefits:
• Salary range $65,000 - $75,000 depending upon experience and qualifications.
• Comprehensive health insurance, including dental & vision
• Retirement – voluntary employee pre-tax contribution, plus Greenbelt contributes 10% of employee’s salary to 403(b)
• Paid sick leave: Accrue 8 hrs per month / 12 days per year
• Paid vacation: 10 days for 1st year of employment; gradually increasing to 15 days after year 1; maximum of 4 weeks after 5 years.
• 3 Personal Days
• Paid holidays: 12 regular & 1 floating
• 1:1 Comp time > 40 hours / week
• Flexible Spending Account
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance ($50,000)
• Paid professional development opportunities
Please submit application materials, including, at a minimum, a resume and cover letter, electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 20, 2023. In your resume, please include relevant work experience, education, and training. Please include the following in your cover letter: why you want to work at Greenbelt, and how your experience / education / training qualifies you for this position.
Essex County Greenbelt is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.