Forestry Assistant - ALB Ground Survey
Department of Conservation and Recreation
3 openings for 2023 field season, April 10 through November 17, 2023
Full time: 40hrs/week, 7:30am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday
Reporting location: West Boylston, MA
The Department of Conservation and Recreation seeks qualified applicants for the position of Forestry Assistant within the Cooperative Asian Longhorned Beetle Eradication Program. DCR works in cooperation with the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Plant Protection and Quarantine’s (PPQ) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) to eradicate Asian longhorned beetle (ALB) from the Commonwealth.
Working in a team, Forestry Assistants perform on the ground survey of host trees and host material for signs and symptoms of Asian longhorned beetle infestation, primarily within a regulated area of Worcester County.
Work occurs over all types of terrain, which may include features such as but not limited to, steep and/or uneven and lose slopes, wetlands, roadway embankments, briars and thick brush.
- Performs work largely in a team setting alongside USDA Program Staff
- Conducts inventory of host trees, identifies host trees to species, measures DBH, collects and enters data using GPS and/or other data device(s)
- Identifies damage to host trees made by ALB
- Works outdoors over all terrain types and in all weather conditions
- Interacts with stakeholders to perform daily tasks and host tree inspections
- Cooperates with federal, state, and municipal authorities during emergencies and natural disasters such as forest fires, wind or ice storms, and insect infestations
- Other duties as assigned