Are you fearless, flexible and fast on your feet? We need YOU to take our fundraising program to the
next level. We are looking for a charismatic and enthusiastic team player. We are fiercely passionate about
protecting our natural resources in a hyperlocal area - the seaside towns of Manchester and Essex,
Massachusetts. We’re all about the land AND the people in the broader community. We are a small
organization with a very active Board of Trustees and a supportive community. You will lead our ambitious
Save Our Woods campaign and all of our annual philanthropic efforts. We’ve radically accelerated our land
acquisition achievements, and we need to fortify our funds in step with our land conservation priorities. At
MECT, we protect over 1600 acres, and we’re celebrating our 60th Anniversary. MECT is a proud equal
opportunity employer and we strive to be an inclusive and diverse organization.
Job Title: Development Officer
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications. We’re anticipating the salary range will begin at
$35/hour and increase with campaign experience
Hours: Part-time position, flexible, with some remote work possible. Some event and
evening meeting attendance should be anticipated. We’re anticipating 15-20 hours
per week, but we want to hear from you
Location: Our headquarters are in Essex, Massachusetts, close to our extensive network of
trails and the Great Marsh of Cape Ann
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Officer leads all philanthropic efforts for MECT, with a
laser focus on our $5M Save Our Woods capital campaign. You will amplify and uplift our annual philanthropic
programs and build ardent fervor and loyalty among our highest capacity donors in partnership with the
Campaign and Development Committees and Board of Trustees. You will inspire the Board of Trustees, staff
members and volunteers to participate in your brilliant development strategies.
● Provide leadership for all facets of the development operations
● Participate at meetings of the Board of Trustees and committees to provide advice and counsel,
and report on development-related interests
● Prepare reports for the Executive Director and Board on strategies/ideas/metrics
● Manage – in concert with Executive Director and Board members - top philanthropic relationships
with individual and institutional donors and prospects
● Manage campaign prospects – in concert with Campaign Committee - as well as ongoing major
donor identification, cultivation, and stewardship
● Continually assess the fundraising program – in concert with the Development Committee - and
evaluate performance to ensure optimal achievement
● Prepare and oversee the management of the annual Development budget.
● Manage all aspects of solicitations, acknowledgments, donor research and record keeping
● Spearhead 4-5 foundation and public grants each year
● Minimum of five years of development experience
● Track record of securing major gifts at the six-figure+ level.
● Independent professional who can manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
● Excellent analytic and strategic-thinking skills and listening skills
● “Can do” spirit and a sense of humor
● Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive
● Experience with CRM/contact database
● Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships at all levels
● Social media enthusiasm
● Energetic and authentic writing voice
● Creative and effective at problem-solving
● Proven ability to work with efficiency
Find us at MECT.org, on FaceBook and Instagram. Capital Campaign: mect.org/saveourwoods
Show us what you can do! Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.