About New England Forestry Foundation
New England Forestry Foundation (NEFF) occupies a special niche among the region’s nongovernmental organizations and nationally, as well. NEFF is:
• a land trust
• an advocate for improved forestry
• a conservation landowner that actively manages forest land
• a convener for addressing forest land conservation issues
• a generator of new information on issues involving improved forest practices
• a collaborator with other interests
• an organization that generates policy proposals and gets them acted on.
NEFF is a regional non-profit organization with a mission focused on forest conservation and management. We conserve forests and promote Exemplary Forestry to permanently protect the character of New England and the region’s primary source of clean water and air, native wildlife habitat, diverse recreational opportunities, and rural economic opportunities. NEFF has protected one of every three acres of land conserved in New England and currently manages more than 150 properties that the organization owns outright (38,000 acres) and holds conservation easements on more than a million acres. The organization is in a period of growth, having nearly doubled staffing and budget since the start of 2013. NEFF is also a leader in analyzing and synthesizing information on the region’s forests to not only illuminate opportunities and problems but also inform policy on how to improve forest management, both on its own lands and in the region.
The Development Associate works closely with the development team and other staff to help achieve the organization’s overall fundraising goals. This person is directly responsible for maintaining the donor database including gift/data entry and the production of acknowledgement letters and related reports. Additional responsibilities include providing general administrative support to the development department.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Gift Processing and Donor Stewardship
• Enter gifts (including matching gifts, gifts-in-kind, gifts of stock, recurring gifts, online donations, etc.…) and pledges and oversee the management and utilization of NEFF’s Raiser’s Edge system.
• Produce donor acknowledgement letters. Adjust standard copy and/or request hand signatures and handwritten notes from executive staff as appropriate.
• Respond to donor inquiries.
Direct-Mail Appeals/Fundraising Materials
• Coordinate the printing and mailing of multiple appeals
• Update online forms and letters in Blackbaud On-line Express
• Track and report on appeal performance
Database Administration (Raiser’s Edge)
• Perform data entry in accordance with generally accepted best practices
• Perform routine database maintenance (ex: duplicate records searches)
• Provide training and trouble-shooting support to other Raiser’s Edge users on staff
• Stay up to date on the activities of other departments and work with other NEFF staff to ensure that donor records are updated and as complete as possible
• Reconcile monthly donations with Finance Department
• Generate a variety of fundraising and financial reports, and the annual report donor list
• Provide documentation and reports for yearly financial audit
• Generate mailing lists for publications and direct-mail distribution lists
Prospect Research and Tracking
• Identify potential major donor prospects from existing donor pool
• Assist with prospect research using online tools and subscription services
• Track meetings and other donor “actions” made by executive staff and major gift officers
• Provide yearly information updates to maintain high ratings in Guidestar and Charity Navigator
• Coordinate or assist with the coordination of fundraising events, including aspects of the Annual Meeting, as needed
• Participate in and contribute ideas to weekly Development Team meetings and Development Committee meetings
• Assist with the periodic evaluation of potential new fundraising software and online research tools
• Stay up-to-date with trends in fundraising through participation in seminars, webinars, and professional conferences
Professional experience and skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Exceptional organizational abilities with fluency in managing multiple projects and competing priorities
• Strong proficiency using fundraising database software; experience using Raiser's Edge preferred
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications required
• Experience with online fundraising platforms and approaches preferred
• Enthusiastic team player
• Understanding and appreciation of New England Forestry Foundation’s mission
• Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of experience with a non-profit fundraising team
Compensation, Location & Other Information
Salary range for this position is $45,000 - $50,000 commensurate with experience. Location for this position is at the organization’s Prouty Woods headquarters in Littleton, Massachusetts with remote work an option for part of the week.
New England Forestry Foundation values the importance of a diverse workforce, supports equity in the fields of conservation and forestry, and strives to empower candidates from all backgrounds to apply. All staff positions receive generous benefits packages, which can be viewed on NEFF’s Careers webpage.
New England Forestry Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.