Carbon and Transaction Specialist
Reports to: Conservation Director
Position Type: Full-time, salaried
Location: Montpelier, VT – an office/work-from-home hybrid system
Starting Salary: $60,000
Northeast Wilderness Trust (NEWT) conserves forever-wild landscapes for nature and people. We safeguard more than 73,000 wild acres across New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, and Connecticut and are the only regional land trust focused exclusively on rewilding through forever-wild conservation.
As the Carbon and Transaction Specialist, you will manage all aspects of Northeast Wilderness Trust’s growing carbon program. You will also assist the Conservation Team with various due diligence tasks associated with conservation transactions. You will work closely with the Executive Director on carbon related matters.
What You Will Do:
o Diligently review, negotiate, and finalize CDMAs and Opportunity Summaries;
o Work with counsel to ensure legal documents are thoroughly vetted before execution;
o Ensure Executive Director and Operations Director are kept updated on upcoming disbursements and fees;
o Maintain communication and accountability with carbon developers.
o Work with the Conservation Team to ensure Wildlands Carbon and Wildlands Partnership are interfacing smoothly;
o Review Landowner Agreements and lead negotiations for future cohorts;
o Present on Wildlands Carbon, as necessary, to Wildlands Partnership land trust partners.
Carbon Markets, generally:
o Regularly evaluate the state of the carbon market and ensure NEWT is keeping up with trends;
o Remain informed of both voluntary and regulatory markets;
o Continue to identify and participate in relevant carbon-related educational opportunities such as lectures, webinars, and articles;
o Act as point of contact for carbon partners;
o Explore opportunities to maximize NEWTs participation in the carbon market, such as:
- Identifying, or exploring the creation of, new protocols;
- Finding new and different developers, access to market, ways to sell carbon credits;
- Weighing cost/benefit of managing carbon projects in-house;
o Ensure NEWT’s Wild Carbon trademark is respected and not used without permission;
o Update the staff and board about emerging market trends;
o Provide quarterly Board Reports on NEWT’s carbon work and respond to inquiries from the Board and Executive Director on matters relating to carbon.
o Work with the Conservation Team on new projects to facilitate title review, contract drafting, working with legal counsel, implementing project selection rubric, attending site visits, and assisting with other miscellaneous project due diligence.
What You Will Bring to the Wilderness Trust:
• A passionate commitment to wild nature;
• At least three years of direct experience in the carbon offset market;
• At least three years of land trust conservation transactional experience;
• Enjoyment of working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, and team-oriented work environment;
• An ambitious, collaborative, self-starting, and can-do attitude;
• Exceptional organizational and time management skills to meet deadlines and manage multiple long-term and short-term tasks simultaneously;
• Willingness to present to groups in person and in online formats on NEWT’s carbon programs;
• Ability and willingness to travel as needed across the region and carry a valid driver’s license;
• Willingness to work outside of position’s prime focus and collaborate with other staff on various tasks;
Northeast Wilderness Trust offers competitive and progressive benefits including: medical, dental and vision insurance; 401k retirement plan with 4% employee match, life insurance, generous paid time off, parental leave, flexible scheduling; and sabbatical leave.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume with three professional references as a single combined PDF to email@example.com with the subject “Carbon and Transaction Specialist.” Application deadline is January 30, 2023 with review and interviews happening on a rolling basis.
Northeast Wilderness Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.