This position is a 15-hour per week, part-time role helping advance the Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership (MTWP), a regional collaboration focused on economic development that sustains the area’s forests and natural resources while enhancing the rural way of life for its residents. This position reports to the Partnership’s Administrative Agent based at NEFF, and will provide direct administrative support to the 31-member board and standing committees of the MTWP, and as time permits, may also play a role implementing some programs and activities of the MTWP.
• Administrative/clerical assistance for scheduling and coordinating public body meetings for a large Board of Directors representing municipalities, regional organizations and state and federal agencies.
• Agenda drafting and public posting in accordance with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Open Meeting Law, and support for Board member minute-taking and posting as needed.
• Communication with Board and Committee Chairs, Board members and local/regional officials, for meeting scheduling and event planning logistics.
• Providing timely response to public records requests.
• Posting event notices and other timely information, as well as video recordings to a public web site.
• Webinar and meeting hosting and coordination on platforms including Zoom, or using technology to schedule and host “hybrid” meetings (combination of in-person and remote attendees).
• Occasional coordination of guest speakers/facilitators and support for slide or other presentations.
• Developing and creating flyers, brochures, and other educational materials as needed.
• Drafting and editing content for a quarterly e-newsletter.
• Occasional publicizing of calendar events and news releases to local and regional media.
• As time permits, updating web site and developing engaging online content.
• Potential advertising for and supporting selection and oversight of contractors for specific tasks/projects.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• High school diploma or GED required. Associates or bachelor’s degree preferred.
• An engaging and cordial demeanor in person, on webinars and by phone, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse colleagues, as well as members of the public.
• Ability to work with multiple leaders, balancing and prioritizing tasks.
• Ability to meet deadlines and work effectively with minimal supervision.
• Extremely organized and detail oriented in one’s own work. Enjoys organizing the work of others.
• Excellent writing and speaking skills.
• Fluency with Microsoft programs including at minimum Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• A passion for and commitment to the values of New England Forestry Foundation, including forest management, conservation, maintaining climate stability, and education.
• Ability to attend in-person, daytime or evening meetings at various locations within the MTWP geography (Berkshire and Franklin counties).
• Proficient with electronic media including e-newsletters and web sites.
• Understanding of the politics, culture and physical geography of rural northwestern Massachusetts or a willingness to learn.
• Preference for an associate or bachelor’s degree in business, environmental studies, forestry, sustainability, or related fields.
• Fluency with social media and managing social media accounts on behalf of an organization or initiative.
• Passion for forest conservation and stewardship.
• Growth potential within a rapidly developing organization.
• Valid driver's license.
• Residence in or near northwestern Massachusetts.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort
• Work will periodically involve irregular hours, such as attending evening meetings.
• Work typically occurs in an office and requires only light office duties in terms of physical activity.
• Work will require travel within the MTWP geography and occasional travel to Littleton or Boston, MA.
Compensation and Other Information
Salary is commensurate with experience. New England Forestry Foundation offers a friendly working environment. The organization is headquartered at Prouty Woods in Littleton, Massachusetts. NEFF has offered a fully remote working environment during Covid-19 and expects to maintain options for flexible schedules and remote work.
New England Forestry Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample via email to Kim Doherty at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MTWP Assistant position.”